Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

"Saxie Mom" refers to our daughter playing the saxophone. My email address references our son playing hockey. Fair is fair, so "Saxie Mom" it is.

Friday, February 1, 2008

Books and Budgets

Okay, so like a lot of people we are trying to cut back on spending. A common piece of advice that can be found on websites, in books, etc., is to use cash and cut up credit cards. That's two pieces of advice actually and both are difficult, really, really difficult.

By using cash, there are a lot fewer debit slips so the monthly budget spreadsheet is much easier to keep up-to-date, and we have found that we spend less with cash. As for cutting up the credit cards, that was, very . . . weird. We were so used to having the cards in our wallets to use whenever we felt like it. Now we have to think, and think hard before we spend money - it means having to go to the bank or ATM to take the money out. Is it worth the trip? Not that the ATM or bank is far, just not always convenient. Then those fun service fees for using another bank or ATM. Once I used a different machine and was charged a fee by the "establishment", then another fee by the ATM, and my bank charged me a fee also. All for $20.00. Then to top it all off, I found a twenty in my wallet. A big waste of money! So now we make certain that we use the correct ATM's.

As for cutting up the credit cards, it has eliminated spur of the moment spending. Unfortunately, knowing the account numbers makes it possible to shop on-line. It is however, much, much less than it was before, but Amazon is still a temptation. Which leads me to another tip frequently bandied about, use the library instead of buying books. The title of this is Books, Bags, and Budgets, so it doesn't take a genius to figure out I like books, a lot! This tip I avoided for the longest time. I like my books, and I like my bookcases full of books. To stop buying books and use the library is more difficult than cutting up the credit cards. Really? How do I know? Because we have cut up the credit cards but still buy books. To be fair I do buy fewer books and am more selective about what is bought. The library? Yes I do use the library now, quite a bit actually. Usually for books that are non-fiction, information or instruction type books, ones that I wouldn't necessarily purchase. When it comes to favourite authors, or favourite hobbies, that's another story (pun intended). The library is also a great place to borrow CD's, DVD's and magazines. The music collection is varied, you can listen to stuff that you wouldn't normally buy. Or, listen to the full CD before buying it, to make sure you like all the songs on it.

So far on our quest we have done the following:

1. Use a budget.
2. Shop with a list.
3. Use cash.
4. Cut up credit cards.
5. Use the library.

That is a start, but it finishes this entry.

Saxie Mom

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home